( / )
- SHIPSBeginning in March, after your last frost date
- ZONEGrows everywhere in the USA (perennial in zones 4-9, annual in other zones)
- INCLUDES3 plants, each in a 2.5" diameter pot
- Botanical NameDianthus caryophyllus
We ain't scared to plant these funky little fringed friends. Lavender, magenta, and white all mixed together on these fanciful blossoms that look like long-haired garden fairies. Includes 3 young plants.
- SUN Full sun, or part shade
- HEIGHT 16" when full grown
- SPACING 9" between plants
- CLIMATEHeat loving
- DEER Deer resistant
- KIDS+PETS Edible for humans, mildly toxic to dogs
- WATER Drought tolerant
- INDOOR+POTSGrows well in containers outside
How to Plant
Dig a hole twice the size of the root ball. Fill a little bit of the loose dirt back into the hole and tuck your plant in so the base of the stem is even with the top of the hole. Now fill in the rest of the soil around the roots, give the soft ground around the base of your new plant friend a few solid pats to compress the soil onto the roots, and a long, gentle drink of water.
Where to Plant
Find a place that gets a decent amount of sun, in well draining soil.
When to Plant
Avoid the heat of the day when planting — plant in the early morning, late afternoon, or by the light of the moon. Plant outside after your average last frost in the spring.
When to Expect Blooms
All summer long.
Water regularly until they get established, and then give them extra water during dry spells. Pick blooms to encourage more.
When the plant is about 8" tall you can 'pinch it' which is to pinch of the main middle bud so that the plant is encouraged to be bushier and more full of blooms as it matures. Trim back faded foliage and stems until the plant is about 1/2 the size in fall for over-wintering.