Hare's Foot Fern
( / )
- SHIPSBeginning in March, after your last frost date
- ZONEGrows everywhere in the USA (annual in zones 2-8, evergreen perennial indoors and zones 9-11)
- INCLUDES3 plants, each in a 2.5" diameter pot
- Botanical NameDavallia fejeensis
Hare's Foot Fern looks like it might actually be a sentient being. It has fuzzy tendrils (rhizomes) that grow out from the base and down the pot or across the ground. Decorative - but also a bit startling! This fern is striking centerpiece for a modern, rustic, or minimalistic setting. It's so strange, yet so versatile. Includes 3 young plants.
- SUN Full shade, or indirect light
- HEIGHT 12" when full grown
- SPACING 12" between plants
- CLIMATEPrefers humidity and mild, consistent temperatures
- DEER Somewhat deer resistant
- KIDS+PETS Non-toxic
- WATER Water regularly
- INDOOR+POTSGrows well in containers inside and outside.
How to Plant
Dig a hole twice the size of the root ball. Fill a little bit of the loose dirt back into the hole and tuck your plant in so the base of the stem is even with the top of the hole. Now fill in the rest of the soil around the roots, give the soft ground around the base of your new plant friend a few solid pats to compress the soil onto the roots, and a long, gentle drink of water.
Where to Plant
Find a place that gets mostly shade, in well draining soil. We recommend planting in 12" pots or shady window boxes.
When to Plant
Avoid the heat of the day when planting — plant in the early morning, late afternoon, or by the light of the moon. Plant outside after your average last frost in the spring.
When to Expect Blooms
We're here for the foliage.
Water regularly. Mist weekly if kept indoors.
Do be sure to keep the soil evenly moist, but not saturated. In cold winter regions, bring your fern indoors before the first frost. In mild winter regions, water less frequently if kept outdoors.