Native Plant Kit: South - 9 Plants
( / )
- SHIPSBeginning the first week of March, after your last frost date. If you want your plants earlier, (because you’re a risk-taker or have a greenhouse, for example), just email us and we’re happy to accommodate
- ZONEGrows everywhere in the USA (annual, zones 2-11)
- INCLUDES9 plants in 2.5" pots, 3 each of Zinderella Peach Zinnia, Double Click Cranberry Cosmos, and Strawberry Blonde Marigold
Native to the American South West and Mexico, these vivid little gems will love your hot winds and blue skies, dear southern gardeners. Zinderella Peach Zinnias, (Aztecs called them "plants that are hard on the eyes" for their bright colors - lol), Double Click Cranberry Cosmos, (named after the Greek word Kosmos by Spanish priests in Mexico for how they represent decorative order in the chaotic universe), and Strawberry Blonde Marigold, (Flor de Muerto, used on Day of the Dead Altars, whose beautiful scents attract the spirits).
- SUN Full sun, or part shade
- HEIGHT 1-3ft when full grown
- SPACING 6-9" between plants
- CLIMATE Heat loving
- DEER Deer resistant
- WATERDrought Tolerant
- INDOOR+POTSIn ground or outdoors in pots
How to Plant
Dig a hole twice the size of the root ball. Fill a little bit of the loose dirt back into the hole and tuck your plant in so the base of the stem is even with the top of the hole. Now fill in the rest of the soil around the roots, give the soft ground around the base of your new plant friend a few solid pats to compress the soil onto the roots, and a long, gentle drink of water.
Where to Plant
Find a place that gets a decent amount of sun, in well draining soil.
When to Plant
Avoid the heat of the day when planting — plant in the early morning, late afternoon, or by the light of the moon. Plant outside after your average last frost in the spring.
When to Expect Blooms
All summer long.
Water regularly until they get established, and then give them extra water during dry spells. Pick the flowers regularly (Bring the flowers in! Make bouquets! Have fun!) to encourage more blooms. And ask us any questions along the way.
When your plant is about 9-12" tall you can pinch off the main growth tip to encourage a bushier plant with more blooms.