Small Red Canadian Tobacco
( / )
- SHIPSBeginning the first week of March, or after your last frost date. If you want your plants earlier, (because you’re a risk-taker or have a greenhouse, for example), just email us and we’re happy to accommodate
- ZONEGrows everywhere in the USA (annual, zones 2-11)
- INCLUDES3 plants, each in a 2.5" diameter pot
- Botanical NameNicotiana tabacum
Small Red Canadian Tobacco is lovely on its own, with sweet pink, tubular blooms. If you wish to harvest the leaves, however, remove the blooms, and wait until the leaves turn yellow or brown to harvest, then hang somewhere cool and dry to cure. Includes 3 young plants.
- SUN Full sun, or part shade
- HEIGHT 2-3ft when full grown
- SPACING 12-18" between plants
- CLIMATE Heat tolerant
- DEER Deer resistant
- KIDS+PETS Toxic
- WATER Water regularly
- INDOOR+POTSGrows well in containers outside.
How to Plant
Dig a hole twice the size of the root ball. Fill a little bit of the loose dirt back into the hole and tuck your plant in so the base of the stem is even with the top of the hole. Now fill in the rest of the soil around the roots, give the soft ground around the base of your new plant friend a few solid pats to compress the soil onto the roots, and a long, gentle drink of water.
Where to Plant
Find a place that gets a decent amount of sun, in well draining soil.
When to Plant
Avoid the heat of the day when planting — plant in the early morning, late afternoon, or by the light of the moon. Plant outside after your average last frost in the spring.
When to Expect Blooms
Early spring to early summer.
Water regularly until they get established, and then give them extra water during dry spells.
Tobacco will grow in any soil, but it will also deplete the dirt of nutrients quickly. If planted in beds, apply fertilizer regularly, or plant alone in containers.