King of the Blacks Carnation
( / )
- SHIPSBeginning in April
- HEIGHT24" when full grown
- SPACING9" between plants
- LIGHTFull sun, or part-shade
- ZONEShort-lived perennial in zones 4-9, annual in other zones
- SHIPPINGFlat rate $10 shipping on all orders
- INCLUDES3 plants, each in a 2" diameter pot
- Botanical NameDianthus caryophyllus
- Common NameClove pink
The deep burgundy is so dark this variety is called the 'King of Blacks' Carnation. It pairs brilliantly with pink, and we also love it (of course) in an all-black garden. Makes an excellent cut flower
- DEER Deer resistant
- KIDS+PETS Edible for humans, mildly toxic to dogs
- DIFFICULTY Super easy to grow
- CLIMATE Heat loving
- WATER Drought tolerant
- INDOOR+POTS Grows well in containers outside.
How to Plant
Dig a hole and tuck your plant in so it is even with the soil. Now give your plant a good wish, a few solid pats to compress the soil around it, and a long drink of water.
Where to Plant
Find a place that gets a decent amount of sun, and space plants about 9" apart.
When to Plant
Avoid the heat of the day when planting — plant in the early morning, late afternoon, or by the light of the moon. Plant outside after your average last frost in the Spring.
When to Expect Blooms
Sweet, sweet Summertime.
Water regularly until they get established, and then give them extra water during dry spells. Pick the flowers regularly (Bring the flowers in! Make bouquets! Have fun!) to encourage more blooms. And ask us any questions along the way.
When the plant is about 8" tall you can 'pinch it' which is to pinch of the main middle bud so that the plant is encouraged to be bushier and more full of blooms as it matures.