Cafe au Lait Dahlia
( / )
- SHIPSBeginning in April
- HEIGHT4 ft when full grown
- SPACING12" between plants
- LIGHTFull sun, or part-shade
- ZONEAnnual, zones 3-7, tender perennial zone 8-11
- SHIPPINGFlat rate $10 shipping on all orders
- INCLUDES5 tubers
- Botanical NameDahlia pinnata
The Cafe au Lait Dahlias are glamorous lookers, with the creamy white petals with taupe undertones going just everywhere, in that 'perfectly unkempt' way. It's the flower version of beach hair. Each plant grows tons of huge dinnerplate blooms reaching 7-8" diameter.
- DEER Deer resistant
- KIDS+PETS Mildly toxic, can irritate skin
- DIFFICULTY Moderate, likes good soil and regular care
- CLIMATE Full sun, or part shade in hot climates
- WATER Water regularly once it begins to grow
- INDOOR+POTS Grows well in containers outside
How to Plant
Dig a hole about 8" deep and amend with compost. Place the tuber horizontally (with the eyes, if you can see them, pointing up) 2-4" below the soil. Mark the spot with support (a stick or tomato trellis works well) for the big blooms to come. Now give your tuber a good wish, a few solid pats to compress the soil around it. Tubers are prone to rot, so only water it if the soil is very dry, otherwise leave it be until it starts to grow.
Where to Plant
Find a place that gets a decent amount of sun, and space plants about 12" apart.
When to Plant
Avoid the heat of the day when planting — plant in the early morning, late afternoon, or by the light of the moon. Plant outside after your average last frost in the Spring.
When to Expect Blooms
Mid Summer through frost.
Water regularly until they get established, and then give them extra water during dry spells. Pick the flowers regularly (Bring the flowers in! Make bouquets! Have fun!) to encourage more blooms. And ask us any questions along the way.
After your first frost, you can dig up your tubers and store them someplace cool and dark to re-plant the following Spring.