Crocus Saffron Bulbs
( / )
- SHIPSBeginning in October
- SPACING2" between bulbs
- LIGHTFull sun or part-shade
- ZONEPerennial, zones 4-9
- SHIPPINGFlat rate $10 shipping on all orders
- INCLUDES10 bulbs
- Botanical NameCrocus sativus
- Common NameAutumn Crocus
Saffron Crocus is a Fall blooming (and Fall planted, so it takes patience to get your first harvest) bulb, unlike most Crocus bulbs which bloom in the Spring. But, behold, this pretty little friend has bright orange stamen of saffron. Harvest in the morning and dry the treasured spice to use in your soon-to-be-famous paella.
- DEER Deer resistant
- KIDS+PETS Non-toxic
- DIFFICULTY Super easy to grow
- CLIMATE Full sun and mild winters
- WATER Only needs supplemental water in the Fall when growing
- INDOOR+POTS Grows well in containers outside
How to Plant
Dig a hole and tuck your bulb in, pointy side up, about 4" deep. Now give your bulb a good wish, a few solid pats to compress the soil around it, a long drink of water, and wait for Spring.
Where to Plant
Find a place that gets at least partial sun, and space bulbs about 4" apart.
When to Plant
Plant in the Fall, unless you get very cold Winters (zones 6 and below) in which case you should plant in the Spring.
When to Expect Blooms
There's really no care involved. Enjoy the blooms?
Wait for the foliage to wilt and turn yellow before clipping it back, so that the bulb can preserve energy for the next year's blooms.