( / )
- SHIPSBeginning in April
- HEIGHT8" - 36" when full grown
- SPACING9" between plants
- LIGHTFull sun, or part-shade
- ZONEAnnual, zones 3-9
- SHIPPINGFlat rate $10 shipping on all orders
- INCLUDES18 plants in 2" pots, 3 each of Chocolate Lace Flower, Yellow Marigold, Orange Marigold, Japanese Indigo, Black Knight Scabiosa, Dyers Coreopsis
- Botanical NamesTagetes erecta, Persicaria tinctoria, Coreopsis tinctoria, Daucus carota Dara, Scabiosa atropurpurea
Hi, you're a dyer now. The Japanese Indigo leaves get tossed in a blender to soak linens into indigo, Dyers Coreopsis makes a dusty orange dye, Yellow and Orange Marigolds make a dye true to color, Scabiosa makes a dusty mauve dye.
- DEER Deer resistant
- KIDS+PETS Non-toxic
- DIFFICULTY Super easy to grow
- CLIMATE Heat loving
- WATER Drought tolerant
- INDOOR+POTS Grows well in containers outside.
How to Plant
Dig a hole and tuck your plant in so it is even with the soil. Now give your plant a good wish, a few solid pats to compress the soil around it, and a long drink of water.
Where to Plant
Find a place that gets a decent amount of sun, and space plants about 9" apart.
When to Plant
Avoid the heat of the day when planting — plant in the early morning, late afternoon, or by the light of the moon. Plant outside after your average last frost in the Spring.
When to Expect Blooms
Sweet, sweet Summertime.
Water regularly until they get established, and then give them extra water during dry spells. Pick the flowers regularly (Bring the flowers in! Make bouquets! Have fun!) to encourage more blooms. And ask us any questions along the way.
Making a dye from each of these flowers requires no special equipment, just a big pot of water, and some blooms. And we're on hand to answer any questions that come up.