Potomac Royal Snapdragon
( / )
- SHIPSBeginning in April, after your last frost date
- ZONEGrows everywhere in the USA (annual in zones 2-6, tender perennial in zones 7-11)
- INCLUDES3 plants, each in a 2.5" diameter pot
- Botanical NameAntirrhinum majus
Named after the lovely old river that flows into the Chesapeake Bay, these lovers of long days are candy-like burgundy and purple spikes of ruffled beauty. Regal. Roll out the red carpet. Includes 3 young plants.
- SUN Full sun, or part shade
- HEIGHT 4ft when full grown
- SPACING 6-12" between plants
- CLIMATE Prefers cool weather
- DEER Deer resistant
- KIDS+PETS Non-toxic
- WATER Water regularly
- INDOOR+POTSGrows well in containers outside
How to Plant
Dig a hole twice the size of the root ball. Fill a little bit of the loose dirt back into the hole and tuck your plant in so the base of the stem is even with the top of the hole. Now fill in the rest of the soil around the roots, give the soft ground around the base of your new plant friend a few solid pats to compress the soil onto the roots, and a long, gentle drink of water.
Where to Plant
Find a place that gets a decent amount of sun, in well draining soil.
When to Plant
Avoid the heat of the day when planting — plant in the early morning, late afternoon, or by the light of the moon. Plant outside after your average last frost in the spring.
When to Expect Blooms
Blooms spring and fall, and through mild summers.
Water regularly until they get established, and then give them extra water during dry spells. Pick blooms to encourage more.
If your summers are hot, they may stop blooming in July and August, but will begin again in the fall. Cut stems for vases when the bottom buds open.